someone should write me a love poem, but i'm stuck doing it myself
by Daphne Gottleib
1. when i was in high school, i had to memorize the
conjugation of the latin verb "to love."
2. i have no idea what happened to my mother's wedding
ring. last night at 12:17 am, i really needed to know.
3. "beautiful" and "amazing" just mean "beautiful" and
"amazing." nothing more.
4. i memorized the latin verb by singing the forms to the
tune of "the mexican hat dance":
5. someone called at 1:19 in the morning. the area code is
from somewhere in arizona. i don't think i know anyone
in arizona. there wasn't a message.
6. if someone lets you sleep over and has to go to work while
you're still asleep and they let you sleep in even though though
they don't really know you, it's nice to leave a thank you
note. or make their bed.
7. i haven't been beautiful in days and i need more sleep.
don't think about it too much. it doesn't mean a thing.
8. i have had my shirts altered so i can wear my heart on my
9. told me i'm beautiful and amazing and where are you,
who told me i'm beautiful and amazing, next time please
write it down, i will be beautiful all day after i make the
bed, amazing after i throw the latex away; how is it, the
everywhere of our hands and no trace of handwriting
10. i still sing: