Sunday, January 3, 2010

Asphodel, That Greeny Flower

Asphodel, That Greeny Flower
by William Carlos Williams

I cannot say
that I have gone to hell
for your love
but often
found myself there
in your pursuit.
I do not like it
and wanted to be
in heaven. Hear me out.
Do not turn away.
I have learned much in my life
from books
and out of them
about love.
Death
is not the end of it.


-


Silence can be complex too,
but you do not get far
with silence.

-

What power has love but forgiveness?
In other words
by its intervention
what has been done
can be undone.

-

Having your love
I was rich.
Thinking to have lost it
I am tortured
and cannot rest.

-

Don't think
that because I say this
in a poem
it can be treated lightly
or that the facts will not uphold it.
Are facts not flowers
and flowers facts
or poems flowers
or all works of the imagination
interchangeable?
Which proves
that love
rules them all, for then
You will be my queen
my queen of love
forever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment